How to Achieve Your Goals
How to Achieve Your Goals
Setting goals is a must for me. I write them in my journal, calendar, and my life planner. Sometimes I am unrealistic in the time to meet certain goals. I am very hard on myself. I love this quote by Confucius. I will achieve my goals, one stone at a time. Keep reading if you want to know how to achieve your goals!
How to Achieve Your Goals
Setting goals for me is mandatory. I am the type of person who always wants to learn something new, improve on something, and just be the best version of myself. However, setting goals can also be stressful. It kind of reminds me of New Years’ resolutions. We make all these grand ideas and stick to them for about a week. It can be quite depressing. So I have come up with a technique that helps me stay on track and always working towards each goal (I have a lot.)
Achieving goals is a great internal win and gives you the boost to keep going. The following are the goals I have for 2020.
- Complete my BSN in Nursing.
- Lose weight.
- Spend more time doing things I enjoy.
- Work to live, NOT live to work (yes I am a workaholic).
- Write daily.
- Keep the romance alive with my dear hubby.
- Encourage NOT nag my kids.
- Save money!
As you can see, that is quite a list. Check out my previous post from January 2020. A lot has changed since I wrote that post and 2020 sure has not shaped up to be the year I wanted! However, I have persevered, and continued to chip away at my goals! This is how I stay on track. It is no perfect plan and I do have slip-ups, but it is always a work in progress and at least I am moving forward.
- Write your goals down (preferably somewhere that you will see them daily). I write mine in my journal and calendar.
- Every week revisit the goal you are currently working on (or goal(s)). Make notes about where you are in the process of making this goal, what is holding you back, what is working. I do this in my journal daily.
- Give yourself a pat on the back when you can mark a completed goal off your list! Or go buy a new outfit!!! That’s what I did. (Sorry hubby, I know this affects the whole saving money goal.)
- Adjust goals as needed. COVID has thrown a wrench and wreaked havoc on a lot of lives. Emotionally, physically, and financially. It is ok to be realistic and adjust goals.
- Understand that it takes time. Like the quote above from Confucius, you can not move a mountain but you can start with small stones.
So, Where am I at in Achieving My 2020 Goals?
- Complete my BSN in Nursing. DONE! It was hard work but I have completed my BSN!
- Lose weight. Working towards it! I had surgery in June 2020 and currently down 67lbs. It has not been an easy journey and this is one of those goals I have to read daily and continue to be very conscious about what I need to do to reach my weight loss.
- Spend more time doing things I enjoy. Ugh. This is a hard one. I always find things that NEED to be done. So I literally wrote in my calendar on specific days to go to the beach, read a book, shopping, etc.
- Work to live, NOT live to work (yes I am a workaholic). I am just gonna say, I have not met this goal. I work a tremendous amount of overtime and some days leave work feeling defeated. I am an ICU nurse and this pandemic has affected me emotionally. So this is one of those goals that I will adjust. When you are a nurse and you know there is a great need for you to be there, the nurse part of your heart makes it very hard to decline.
- Write daily. So when I set this goal, my intentions were to write on my novel daily. That has not happened at all. Major writer’s block. However, I have adjusted this goal to include writing ANYTHING daily. That includes this blog, my journal, and my bible devotion.
- Keep the romance alive with my dear hubby. Love, Love, Love! Date nights are wonderful! I fall more in love with my dear hubby every day!
- Encourage NOT nag my kids. This is a work in progress. It is hard to let go as a parent and let your kids make mistakes and learn from them. But I am doing better. I will offer my advice or thoughts on the situation but then TRY to step away. I have a 21-year-old daughter and a 17-year-old son. This goal has been a struggle and something I pray about daily.
- Save money! Not there yet but I will say the system I currently have in place is working better than any other system I have tried before. I complete a monthly budget for each and every month. I include essentials and those “might happen” scenarios. I then decide what amount I can transfer to my savings account each month. So for example, I am currently working on the budget for November. I have also put a limit on my spending. It really hit home how much money I waste when I was cleaning out my closet and found close to $400 worth of clothes that still had tags on them.
The bottom line is, you set goals for a reason. Don’t give up on your goals or yourself. Just one stone at a time! XOXO
Thank you for being a supporter and reading my blogs! Please comment below. I would love to hear about your goals. Also if like my content please do share with Facebook or Twitter. Until next time…